Skip to content

FAQ for Families

We are aware that often, when a client is referred to us, it may be the first time they and their family have ever been referred to a Support Provider.

Perhaps it is the first time it has been proposed the client move out of the family home.

Here’s some feedback from one of our Clients.​

My life in supported living

I am a 25 year old man and I’ve been living in a shared house for 6 years. I love living here and the other guys are friendly and the staff are brilliant. I attend day centres and voluntary work during the week. I really enjoy this. At the weekend, staff take me horse riding, fishing and shopping. The staff are very kind to me and will help me when I need them. I have improved so much living here and I never want to leave. They have helped me build relationships and improve my communication. I can’t thank staff enough for their hard work and dedication to everyone living in this wonderful home.
Male Client

Our managers often sit in “professionals” meetings prior to the service starting and become aware that family members present can end up bewildered by how everything works: Who does what? What do they mean? Who pays for what? So we have prepared a list of Frequently Asked Questions below.

We have a longer list we can provide you with – just ask!


What is Supported Living – is it like living in a Care Home?

Not really! The Supported Living model is largely just like living in either a shared house where you pay rent for a room and the use of communal areas, or living on your own in a rented property. You pay your own rent and living expenses and your own (or shared) household bills from your benefit income. Support can either be 1:1 staffing or shared with other occupants. The placing (or funding) Authority (Council or Health board) decides how much support is required for each person (what they need help with, how many hours per week) and pays the Support Provider, Green Valley Care, to provide it.

Will my relative be able to visit their new home and meet Support Workers before they move in?

Yes. It’s preferable to allow plenty of time for your relative to become familiar with their new home and get used to their support staff before they actually move in. The transition period will vary from client to client. For some people, particularly those on the Autistic Spectrum, a longer transition period of a few months is ideal. For others, a small number of visits over a week or two might be all they want and need.

Who will help my relative move their things to the Supported Living House?

You can move their things or arrange for moving services if you wish. If this is difficult then we can source a local man with a van to help.

Will you keep me informed about my relative?

As your relative is an adult, it will be up to them to share and tell you about aspects of their life if they wish. Their Support Staff won’t be able to make a decision to share information with you unless your relative has requested they do so, or it’s an emergency situation and you are listed as next-of-kin.

Can I visit my relative after they have moved?

Your relative is an adult and can choose to invite you and their friends to their home as and when they wish, just like anyone else living in their own home.

Can they come and visit the family home?

Of course, as long as they wish to.

Will I carry on being my relative’s appointee?

This is a matter between you, your relative and the placing authority (Social Services, Health Board etc). Some clients need an appointee and some don’t.

Will my relative have to sign a tenancy?

A tenancy agreement will have to be drawn up in order to claim Housing Benefit, if needed, to pay the rent.  If your relative is not deemed able to understand the implications of the tenancy agreement this would mean they are not considered to have the capacity to sign it. It’s not a problem – it just stays unsigned.

Who will pay their rent?

Our clients living in Supported Accommodation usually have their rent largely covered by housing benefit. A small top-up payment from other benefit income may be necessary if this doesn’t quite cover the whole rent.

How will they pay their household bills?

Green Valley Care usually administers a shared bank account for each Supported Living household to pay utility and other household bills from. Each tenant contributes an equal amount and direct debits are set up to pay the bills.

Will my relative be able to go on holiday?

Some clients join in family holidays, others go away on holiday supported by their support staff.